[BCLUG] Gitea.io [was GitHub...]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 28 03:09:21 EDT 2022

Quoting jkinney23 at yahoo.ca (jkinney23 at yahoo.ca):

[Gitea:]

> I like it and I am much more comfortable ethics-wise using this that github or even
> gitlab. I don't have a ton of experience with go, but I do have enough with Ruby on
> Rails monstrosities that I am sure it is going to be much cleaner code to explore.
>
> I'm happy with gitea as my solution.

Delighted that my instincts about this are right.  I've been dropping
mention of Gitea into interminable discussions about GitHub vs. GitLab
vs. [some other SaaS thing], for some years.  It strikes me as hitting
the sweet spot of enough features to be useful and not seem threadbare,
but not so much featuritis as to be yet another software-engineering
cautionary tale and security basket-case.  (Starting with Golang rather
than PHP was the first good sign among many.)

There are several near-class competitors, such as gitorious and Gogs.
(That might be the whole lot, actually.  I'd have to consult my notes.)

Likewise hitting the functionality sweet spot, AFAIK, in a different
area, is Radicale as a CalDAV/CardDAV server:  shared calendars and
address books.  So, basically, you can cease outsourcing to Google
Calendar like a technopeasant.

Radicale managed to hit the sweet spot by, among other things, electing
_not_ to include in the server code online viewing/editing of calendars,
something that doubtless keeps Google's proprietary hosted code for
Google Calendar monstrous.

Thus, with a Radicale server, the user is not spoon-fed a client to
view/edit such data.  It's on the user to _have_ one, that implements
the relevant IETF protocols.  A partial guide and bestiary:
https://radicale.org/v3.html#supported-clients