[BCLUG] Gitea.io [was GitHub...]

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca jkinney23 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 10 06:06:46 EDT 2022

 I did indeed and it works nicely. I installed from source on my laptop and it was
reasonably straightforward as long as you are comfortable installing recent golang
and node instead of using package manager versions. On my rasbperry pi, building
from source failed for some reason I have not discerned yet, but a prebuilt binary
works fine. Gitea is also in their extra software repo if you want apt to handle things.
You have to manually setup a database, but that's no big deal. I'll be tinkering with
this setup while I figure out what projects I am going to put up on it.

I like it and I am much more comfortable ethics-wise using this that github or even
gitlab. I don't have a ton of experience with go, but I do have enough with Ruby on
Rails monstrosities that I am sure it is going to be much cleaner code to explore.

I'm happy with gitea as my solution.
     On Sunday, July 10, 2022, 02:45:53 a.m. PDT, BCLUG <admin at bclug.ca> wrote:

 jkinney23 at yahoo.ca wrote on 2022-07-09 05:53:

> I'm going with self hosted https://gitea.io/ for my portfolio.
> Written in Go, fully open source, nice and lightweight, and I control
> the infrastructure it's on.
Have you installed this yet? I'm curious as to how easy it is to setup.

Are you familiar with Go language?

I'm not, but I believe it's designed for multi-threaded apps?