[BCLUG] [Discuss] GitHub...

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Sun Jul 10 06:09:43 EDT 2022

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca wrote on 2022-07-10 02:54:

> BC is a hateful place when you don't know anyone. You're lucky you
> are from here at least

I'm not originally from here though.

> Anonymous and the Kali script kiddie crowd ruined a lot of things for
> the Linux community. It is indeed too bad.

I don't think I agree. Sure, they've done some dumb stuff, but most
people don't remember Anonymous and never equated it with Linux.

I've encountered a couple people who've probably heard of Anonymous or
watched some TV show about hackers and wanted to emulate those
characters and that led them to an interest in Linux.

At which point, they can be given guidance on how being a troll or
script kiddie isn't actually cool.

> Look how vanlug reacted when I tried to reach out - I got sent to a
> security group.

VanLUG is a special kind of "speshul".  And, why did they send you to a
security group? Now that you mention it, that doesn't make sense.

Considering the source, not surprised...

> Mr Robot was a great show, but IRL that's not the culture I am
> looking for. I miss computing just being fun.

Never seen the show, just a few clips on YouTube. Seemed okay.

Computing being fun is kinda hard these days. Computing is to modern
life like water is to fish. And fish don't have "fresh water user
groups" (so I'm told).

> I still don't have a clue what to do about the gatekeeper problem in
>  BC. Linux is otherwise a commercial operating system now I guess so
>  if I am looking for a community maybe I will see if there is a FOSS
>  group in the area instead.

Meetup.com has groups focused on a lot of different technologies. I have
gone to a PostgreSQL meetup once that had something like 50 people! And
pizza.

Which shocked me as PSQL is a bit niche compared to Linux.  It's great
though.

Didn't feel terribly welcoming to a new guy who knew no one, but not
actively hostile. And I'm not one to find it easy to just start
conversations with strangers, especially when they are in groups who
seem to know each other already.

> There is a board member at the VCN who has a phd in something tech
> education related and is a FOSS advocate I tried to connect with, but
> no word yet.

If you find anything, pass it along.

Also, spread the word about BCLUG - surely there are others who are
interested in what you (& I) seem to be looking for here.

Also, I think I might volunteer at VCN for a Local Area Network Support
position.

Oh, wait a second. I thought it was more NetAdmin.

If they want more than a day of BS-ing around though, I'll probably decline.