[BCLUG] [Discuss] GitHub...

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca jkinney23 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 10 07:27:50 EDT 2022

 My problems with BC have been across the board. People blowing
up at me like I am a crack addict or some other craziness has been
the norm. It's like having manners or consideration towards other people
is optional here if they don't know who you are. I'm not doing so well
with it after finally getting settled in Surrey and having problems in a
community that I should have had all kinds of things in common with.

>I don't think I agree. Sure, they've done some dumb stuff, but most
>people don't remember Anonymous and never equated it with Linux.

You should do some more reading about this. We have a researcher
at McGill in Montreal. There is a great deal of overlap between
Anonymous and Debian specifically. I am very well known where I
am from for my little open source computer recycling project and I got
harassed plenty for it. I have nothing against hacktivists specifically
(fight the man...yeah!) but my FOSS association has caused me lots
of problems. I actually got CSIS on the phone a few weeks ago and
they definitely know who I am because of it.

I didn't read the whole thing (I've read her book and taken an online
course about this already) but this should give you some context:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2014/09/14/a_tribe_called_anonymous_meet_gabriella_coleman_anthropologist_of_hackers_and_geeks.html

>> Look how vanlug reacted when I tried to reach out - I got sent to a
>> security group.

>VanLUG is a special kind of "speshul".  And, why did they send you to a
>security group? Now that you mention it, that doesn't make sense.

>Considering the source, not surprised...

He went off on some rant about the LUG not being gnostic gurus or
some craziness (you can read it on the mailing list) and sent me to the
BSides which is a security conference. That would be a great place for
your ethical hacking guy to look into, but it's not for me.

>Also, I think I might volunteer at VCN for a Local Area Network Support
>position.

>Oh, wait a second. I thought it was more NetAdmin.

>If they want more than a day of BS-ing around though, I'll probably decline.

I had several days of very disorganized training on their ticket tracking
system. I got frustrated when, after a day of struggling to log in to various accounts
and chat apps and things, I was asked to log into slack with a different
account so I could access a schedule to track my time. This is at the end of the
day when I said I was signing off. On my old Core2 duo, opening this stuff
is a process of clicking some link they gave me, waiting for a browser window
to open, shutting down the stupid chat client, then wash rinse repeat if I don't
get the credentials right on the first try. After an extra 45 minutes, when I finally
logged into slack with the other account, all my saved links to their resources
were gone of course, and there was a link to a google calendar. I stopped
there rather than try to figure out what credentials I needed for the calendar.

They can use the help and have some interesting tech. If you can hang
in there, go for it. I'd need to make sure my time is going to be productive
before I go back personally. They specifically want help with their volunteer
on boarding and documentation though. You should try it.