[BCLUG] [Discuss] GitHub...

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca jkinney23 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 10 05:54:27 EDT 2022

 Anonymous and the Kali script kiddie crowd ruined a lot of things for the Linux
community. It is indeed too bad. Look how vanlug reacted when I tried to reach
out - I got sent to a security group. Mr Robot was a great show, but IRL that's
not the culture I am looking for. I miss computing just being fun.

I still don't have a clue what to do about the gatekeeper problem in BC. Linux
is otherwise a commercial operating system now I guess so if I am looking for a
community maybe I will see if there is a FOSS group in the area instead. There
is a board member at the VCN who has a phd in something tech education related
and is a FOSS advocate I tried to connect with, but no word yet.

BC is a hateful place when you don't know anyone. You're lucky you are from
here at least mystery admin.     On Sunday, July 10, 2022, 02:37:09 a.m. PDT, BCLUG <admin at bclug.ca> wrote:

 jkinney23 at yahoo.ca wrote on 2022-07-10 02:29:

> I guess it's just you and me here too mystery bclug admin?

Mostly, yeah.

Had a good conversation on Reddit with a VanLUG board member who's a
decent person and may join.  They tried to convince me that VanLUG,
while fucked up, is *not* irredeemable and that I should join them and
try to change it from within.

Nope.

Someone else followed the link to the sign-up email address and ... it
didn't work.

Turns out (after hours of investigation), all my mailing lists had a
non-default setting that allowed messages through, but didn't allow
requests to be processed by email.

NO IDEA how that happened, it's fixed now, but they never followed
through. Shit.

And one other person who's mostly interested in ethical hacking posted
some comments. I tried to give my best support & info on their area of
interest, but they also haven't signed up.

Seems like the very idea of a LUG is out of fashion these days.
Although, there are Meetup.com groups for PostgreSQL, Ruby, Python, etc.

It's pretty discouraging.