[BCLUG] nextcloud: talk and doc collaboration

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Nov 4 17:39:14 EDT 2022

Hi Znoteer!

Znoteer via Discuss wrote on 2022-11-04 14:12:

> Started playing with the nextcloud account again after having been
> away for awhile. I have a couple of questions.
>
> I'll start with the most obvious. Nextcloud is supposed to do talk
> and messaging. Couldn't find either. I'm assuming that is because it
> is an optional module that you've opted not to install. If, however,
> I am just gui-challenged, please let me know how to get to it.

If I recall correctly, I disabled a bunch of stuff in preparation for
some election-related tasks requiring max performance.

I've re-enabled everything except "Default Encryption Module" because I
don't want to spend the time understanding it, and once enabled, can't
go back.

Been playing with the "Memories" app for photos management recently -
has a timeline similar to Google Photos where one can slide through
*all* photos by year. Nice!

And, coming with v25 is face, object, etc. recognition and
categorization, all done locally with "Recognize" app, which will tie
into Photos and Memories.

> Second, to collaborate on a document with me, does a person need to
> have an account on your server, or is there some mechanism for my
> account to grant access to my docs to people without a nextcloud
> account?

No need for an account, just "share" the document, and in the share
menu/sidebar, set things like "Can Edit", "Expires", "Password", etc.

I've not gotten OnlyOffice to work on this NC instance, although it is
the best office integration and works flawlessly on my main NC instance.

Still need to look into it further.

But, NextCloud Office does work fine.

> Thanks for setting up the test bed,
I'm just happy someone's been able to make use of it!

Cheers