[Discuss] Sourcehut for your review

admin admin at bclug.ca
Mon Jun 27 17:32:24 EDT 2022

jkinney23--- via Discuss wrote on 2022-06-27 05:59:

> Here is the git hosting service I found that looks interesting. It is
>  specifically javascript free, but the CSS is very plain. Curious
> what you all think as a git solution.
>
> https://sr.ht/
I missed the Subject line saying "Source Hut" and saw the URL first.

Immediately thought it sketchy, like a link to an URL shortener.

Of course, that's my mistake, but when I look at it now, I'm thinking of
noping out of it.

I'm reminded of the local company that announced they were hiring some
devs, and they were inundated with over a *thousand* applications.

In fact, my memory tells me it was over *10,000*, but even 1,000 is a LOT.

When one is facing such an onslaught and needs to winnow down to a
reasonable number of applicants to interview, one is just looking for
any reason to reject someone until.

Got 1,000 applications?  Scan through at 2 seconds each, any
objectionable layout / colour / formatting? REJECT.

Now, got 500 applications.  Scan through at 5 seconds each, any glaring
typos, too lengthy, too short? REJECT.

etc.

Source Hut has git integration?  You can push & pull / clone from there?

It looks reasonable enough, not hideous, but also not heavily used.

gregkh has an account there (or someone is posing as him) - that's
interesting.

Gotta go...