[Discuss] Aspiring Grumpy Unix Admin

admin admin at bclug.ca
Sun Jun 26 19:35:08 EDT 2022

Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard.

jkinney23--- via Discuss wrote on 2022-06-26 10:38:

> I want to be a GUA.  I have read the Dilbert comic, I have some
> suspenders, a nickel to chuck at windows wieners, and I am working on
> my big fluffy Santa beard.  Does anyone in this group have
> suggestions what else I need to land a new job as a grumpy Unix guy?

Do you have a github account?

Are you reasonably competent with the git command?

You'll find both beneficial. Github is the place for tech portfolios.

I keep all my stuff in local git repos and if / when I'm ready to put on
github, I create a new repo there, do a:

git add remote github git at github.com:my_account/my_new_repo
git push github

And everything's on github (note that I put my public key on github for
authentication so this will work) as well as my "origin", which is this
PC I'm typing at.

> Seriously though, I am new to BC and already having troubles with
> gatekeepers.  I am looking for some safe places to talk command line
> and FOSS.

This ought to be a good place, or hopefully become one. There's a need
for such a thing, I think.

I need to get more active in attracting new people who are looking for a
decent LUG resource...  I suck at it though.

>  I'm studying up for my LPIC-2 and BSD certifications and
> would love to meet more people who already know this stuff or are
> learning.

Those are interesting topics.

I'm a bit of a Linux SysAdmin, network admin, developer of web shite and
have done limited Python (wrote a DNS server) and Perl development in
the past.

Oh, and I love databases. Started with dBase III, went with Access,
MySQL / MariaDB, PostgreSQL, and lately played with Mongo a bit.  And
tried out Google's Firebase.

Hopefully there is a need for our knowledge & skills, such as they are.

>  Lovely to meet everyone at BCLUG!

Glad you've joined us!

> Now seriously though...am I going to get more interview offers with
> red or blue suspenders?
Doesn't matter, as long as it's belt & suspenders to show you're serious.

And it's best if their colours clash.

Cheers