[BCLUG] [Discuss] GitHub...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 28 02:15:35 EDT 2022

Quoting jkinney23 at yahoo.ca (jkinney23 at yahoo.ca):

> I didn't read the whole thing (I've read her book and taken an online
> course about this already) but this should give you some context:
>
> https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2014/09/14/a_tribe_called_anonymous_meet_gabriella_coleman_anthropologist_of_hackers_and_geeks.html

...an author who, in addition to being highly respected McGill
University Anthropology Dept. Professor Gabriella Coleman, is also my
friend Biella from the San Francisco Linux / open source community.
(She grew up in Puerto Rico, though.)

I'm always tickled about what a small world we often inhabit.

[VanLUG:]

> >Considering the source, not surprised...

Ouch.

> He went off on some rant about the LUG not being gnostic gurus or
> some craziness (you can read it on the mailing list) and sent me to the
> BSides which is a security conference. That would be a great place for
> your ethical hacking guy to look into, but it's not for me.

Looks like VanLUG's mailing list server ("Robomod") encountered some
sort of fatal mishap a few months ago, and all they have had for
discussion lately (to my knowledge) is their Meetup walled garden
things.

web.archive.org appears to have grabbed nothing later than 2016 from
Robomod, and that little available in public said that they had Mailman
configured for member-only archives, with the result that, if they
didn't do effective manual backups, then they lost everything.

This is why automated backups of the mailing list's cumulative mbox file
and of its subscriber roster to offsite -- to at least one place, and
why not several? -- are a necessary minimum.

(Example scripts, etc., cheerfully shared upon request.  In fact, I
probably ought to just tar such stuff up and offer them as a standard
download somewhere inside http://linuxmafia.com/pub/ .  (If you're
suspecting from that URL that there's also anonymous ftp, you would be
correct.  Also public rsync .)