[BCLUG] GitHub...

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Sat Jul 9 16:04:04 EDT 2022

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca wrote on 2022-07-09 05:53:

> I'm going with self hosted https://gitea.io/ for my portfolio.
> Written in Go, fully open source, nice and lightweight, and I control
> the infrastructure it's on.

The image of a repo at that link looks very nice.

> Any suggestions for a VPS provider? Or is dynamic DNS still a thing
> so I can host from home?
I host most stuff at home. No DDNS required on TekSavvy (via Shaw's
last-mile). Maybe IP addr changes once per year. Maybe.

As for VPSs, a couple podcasts have promos with Linode and / or Vultr:

 > https://latenightlinux.com/
 >
 > Go to linode.com/latenightlinux and get started with $100 credit.

Same podcaster, different podcast with a couple extremely knowledgeable
guys:

 >  https://2.5admins.com/category/podcast/
 >
 > Go to linode.com/25a and get started with $100 credit.

Local company:

 > https://www.canadianwebhosting.com/vps

Finally, one of the LUGs has a member who owns a hosting company which
has donated VPSs to that LUG plus another group, which I'm admin for:

 > https://indieservenetworks.com/

Give some consideration to that Canadian company who's involved with the
community. Everything works just find, and Mark Steffan even added a
requested DNS PTR so BCLUG's email server could be hosted there.