[BCLUG] Mailing Lists, backups, VanLUG shit show

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 29 20:57:09 EDT 2022

Quoting BCLUG (admin at bclug.ca):

> They lost everything prior to 2016.
>
> It was hosted on Some Else's Computer, and the disk failed.
>
> They considered spending thousands on data retrieval but
>
> a) nothing of value was lost (other than membership list)
> b) they didn't have access to the disk

You know, practically everyone makes mistakes like that at least once.
Where the tale is told, though, is whether people learn from the painful
experience that backups must exist and be tested.

> Which needs backing up, badly.
>
> RAID is a backup, right?  le sigh.

{snort}

Oddly enough, peeling away half of a mirrored pair and putting
that half on the shelf (and remirroring to additional disc)
_is_ one somewhat outre way of creating a backup, and I don't sneer at
that.  It's also about the world's _fastest_ backup.

I have a Web page about...  because of course I do:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/backup-strategy.html

(Greetings from SCaLE 19x.)