[BCLUG] Anonymous & Linux...

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu Jul 28 21:11:12 EDT 2022

Rick Moen wrote on 2022-07-27 23:43:

>> I don't think I agree. Sure, they've done some dumb stuff, but most
>> people don't remember Anonymous and never equated it with Linux.
>
> Indeed.  My reaction to the notion of Anonymous being even
> significantly associated with either Linux or open source was "Huh?"

> But Anonymous_itself_ had/has no special connection to Linux, to my
> knowledge.

Glad to have that confirmed, because I was questioning my recollection.

>> Meetup.com has groups focused on a lot of different technologies. I have
>> gone to a PostgreSQL meetup once that had something like 50 people! And
>> pizza.
>
> So... I don't flog my "Meetup Rant" essay, as that's obnoxious
> behaviour, and it's linked in two places from the Linux User Group
> HOWTO, in case anyone actually wants to find it.  And the entire point
> of such an essay, when/if I'm motivated to write and host one, is to
> capture my view on a subject so I can say "Here, read this thing if you
> want to know my view", and not annoy myself or others repeating a
> conversation that got old.
>
> That having been said, direct link:
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Essays/meetup.html

I'll have a look at that, but pretty sure I can just go right ahead and
say, "I agree".

Don't understand why a Linux (among other types of tech) enthusiast
group would not want to DIY on as much infrastructure as they can.

Especially a group that's fairly stridently pro-FSF as opposed to just
"I like Linux, open source software, DIY, and interoperability".

I fall a bit more into the latter camp, VanLUG is pretty strident about
putting "Sent from IceWeasel on Debian" in their signature with their
"President" titles.

And yet, nothing is self-hosted.

As I said before, the tech is just an ostensible VanLUG raison d'etre;
fluffing their egos is the real reason for existence.

Getting back on topic, the original poster of this thread has
unsubscribed, but his Linux == Anonymous and "I was harassed for putting
Linux on old hardware" and "CSIS knows who I am because I put Linux on
old hardware" is ... a type of paranoia I'm sensing a lot of around
these parts.

Makes it easier to dismiss the former allegation when he admits he
literally called CSIS to discuss misinformation and expected them to
know who they were speaking to.

"?!?"