[BCLUG] [Discuss] GitHub...

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca jkinney23 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 10 05:29:36 EDT 2022

 I guess it's just you and me here too mystery bclug admin?
     On Saturday, July 9, 2022, 01:59:28 p.m. PDT, BCLUG <admin at bclug.ca> wrote:

 jkinney23 at yahoo.ca wrote on 2022-07-09 05:53:

> Or is dynamic DNS still a thing so I can
> host from home?

I think DDNS is still "a thing", but I believe the major providers
started charging for even basic accounts. I'm not sure about this, just
something rattling around the back of my brain.

Might not be necessary though, depending on your ISP and how often they
change your IP.

Add an hourly or daily cron job doing something like:

curl http://bclug.ca/myip/ >> ~/myIP.log

Then check for how often the IP has changed:

sort | uniq ~/myIP.log

If your IP hasn't changed after a week, then the output should be one
line with one IP address. Probably won't need DDNS then.

Another thing: who is your ISP?

You'll probably want your server to be able to send email notifications.

The options there are to set up a relay so it goes through another SMTP
server, or to run postfix locally.

If running postfix locally, and on Telus, email won't send and it's hard
to debug.

Your postfix will reach out and connect to a destination MTA, and ...
nothing.  Telus blocks incoming traffic on port 25(?) and postfix will
not be able to finish sending out mail.

TekSavvy allows this to work. Unsure of Shaw.

This led to quite an ordeal when my home server had both cable and fibre
connections.

Had to script up something that rewrote the routing table such that a
selection of major email providers' MX records got looked up for IP
addresses, then those IP address routes were sent through cable, rest of
traffic sent over fibre.

It worked...