[BCLUG] Interesting email about domain expiring - SPF vs SPAM question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 19 20:01:28 EDT 2022

Quoting Ian Samuel (ian at mrzesty.net):

> but it needs to be stressed that SPF provides a suggestion to other
> mail servers that the /_SMTP _//_envelope sender_/ (not the From:
> header field) address can only originate from listed IPs. SPF does
> not prevent spoofing of a From: header, you need DKIM for that.

Yes, as an SMTP host owner/operator since the 1980s, spoofing of my
domain in forged SMTP envelopes a la the revenge-spam attack against Joe
Doll that gave us the term "Joe job"[1] are my concern.  Fun and games
people might play with the payload inside the envelope are -not- my
problem.

I care about my IP's reputation, not being regarded as a spamhaus.
For that and given my ability to state definitively that all SMTP from
my domains must originate from my IP and from nowhere else, SPF is
a perfectly scoped antiforgery mechanism, and Works for Me[tm].

[1] See relevant entries in http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail/ .