[BCLUG] Interesting email about domain expiring - SPF vs SPAM question

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Wed Aug 17 16:41:22 EDT 2022

Hey all,

I got an interesting email today saying this domain was to expire today.

"!?!"

Since I just had a legit message from a utility provider that I'd missed
a payment, my first thought was, "Oh no, not again."

But it was fake.

Where it gets interesting is the message was sent through the email
server for this domain - the message ID is in the mail.log file.

Looking further, the SPF/TXT records for the domain all end with "~all".

While the server is doing SPF policy checking, this message still got
through.

Does it sound like changing "~all" to "-all" would have prevented this
message?

I've done that already, but would appreciate any advice on if it was The
Right Move™ or useless.

Thanks!

To subscribe, send an email to discuss-subscribe at lists.bclug.ca
--